The country of Australia is famous for its wonderful species of animals. The country is known for its collection of odd and weird-looking animals such as the Platypus and koalas. Animals of Australia are fascinating, cute and unique. To know more about such animals, we are listing below small and native animals in Australia.
Native Australian Animals
- Bandicoot: There are almost more than twenty species of bandicoot in Australia. They are marsupials that are omnivores (animals that eat both meat and plants).
- Cane Toad: cane toad is not a native animal of Australia, but it was introduced to Australia. Sugarcane is the main crop in Australia. According to the studies, it was stated that to control beetle populations that were destroying the sugarcane crops a solution was needed that came up as the cane toad. The cane toad is also spreading the disease because you will find a massive amount of toad dead on roads due to which a large amount of illness is covering.
- Cockatoo: Cockatoos are quite common in Australia, they are quite intelligent birds too. In case, if you are planning to visit the art factory lodge, you can book a free bush tucket to meet this bird.
Echidna: It is the oldest animal in Australia. Echidna is only two egg-laying mammals; it looks like a porcupine. After lying single egg after 22 days, the female echidna keeps the egg in her pouch, and the egg remains in her bag for at least two months.
Some Interesting And Small Animals Of Australia
- Flying Fox: The grey-headed mega-bat bird of Australia. Little red bird is also a native bird of Australia. It is the smallest bird in Australia. While traveling, you can see the black flying fox.
- Frill Necked Lizard: Frill lizard is hard to see because of their color, which helps them to stay camouflaged, these lizards are harmless, and you will find them in northern territories.
- Galah: Galah is an Australian bird that keeps on its reputation and that is so bright.
- Giant Clam: If you are planning for some underwater activities in Australia, you might come across giant clam. Their weight up to 200kg and they can live for 100 years. They have the ability to produce both sperms and eggs.
- Goanna: This is a monitor lizard, and its size is just 20cm to 2 meters. You will find 20 to 30 species of goanna, 15 to 20 species found in Australia.
- Possum: There are almost 23 species of Possum which are found in Australia. The most common possum is a ringtail and brushtail, which you will mostly see in Australia. They both are of cat size.
- Sugar Glider: This kind of animal is known to be as small marsupials that are in the eastern coastal areas and they live in woodlands.